Post Date: 07/21/21 Company: Westcoast Black Theatre Troupe of Florida, Inc.
TITLE: Development Associate
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: Reports directly to: Development Director Reports indirectly to Executive Director & Artistic Director
Position Summary: Development Associate is responsible for working directly with the Development Director and working as a team member with other associates. The job responsibilities will include but not be limited to, supporting development events and theatre outreach events, building relationships with donors though phone calls and in-person meetings, assisting with tours and assisting with donor theatre seating, donor record keeping, composing correspondence, some grant writing and grant reporting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works to acquire new donors and manages a donor database; keeps in regular contact with donors during fundraising events.
- Maintains the accuracy and integrity of databases by ensuring that all information is kept current and up to date.
- Troubleshoots database issues.
- Provides support to various committees and volunteers during fundraising campaigns and events.
- Assists with the creation and finalization of guest lists.
- Mails/emails flyers and other correspondence to potential donors, volunteers and guests in order to inform them of events and activities.
- Provides support to other marketing efforts.
- Writes grant requests, reports and proposals as necessary.
- Performs basic administrative duties such as filing, data entry, letter writing, maintaining a filing system and more.
- Assists in scheduling meetings with prospective funders and donors.
- Participate in professional development opportunities and fundraising professional industry events.
- Strong sales skills, excellent writing skills knowledge of computer systems along with excellent interpersonal, organizational, verbal and communication skills are critical to the job. Demonstrate a professional demeanor whether speaking to others in person, over the phone, via email or through letters.
- Experience in a customer service position a plus, outgoing and friendly demeanor and genuine interest in others and their needs a requirement.
- While meeting organizational goals and needs for annual fundraising, the development associate must demonstrate passion for WBTT’s mission.
- Show persuasiveness and the ability to procure donors, funders and items needed for fundraising efforts.
- Ability to work independently and on multiple projects while meeting performance metrics.
- Display exceptional time-management and organizational skills. Demonstrate strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Perform duties at a high level of accuracy and confidentiality.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred. Three or more years of professional administrative and customer service experience required.
Strong attention to detail with an ability to prioritize and multi-task.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.). Familiarity with Salesforce platform, or other ticketing software a plus.
Some evening and weekend availability necessary.
Work Environment: The work environment of the development associate fluctuates quite a bit. During the processes of finding donors and volunteers, he or she may spend time indoors in an office setting using a telephone and a computer. However, during the process of setting up for and overseeing a fundraising event, the associate may need to be present outdoors for many hours at a time. The job is not incredibly physically demanding, but the candidate may need to be on his or her feet for upwards of eight to 10 hours per day during events.
Compensation: $40,000 – $45,000 Salary commensurate with experience and skills. Health insurance for employee is provided (WBTT pays 90% of the premium) and WBTT provides 3 weeks (15 days) of paid personal time.
Assuming a favorable review and continued employment, annual salary increase will be considered beginning Oct 1, 2022.
How to apply: Interested applicants should email a package including cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail package to WBTT, Attn: Debra Flynt-Garrett, 1012 N. Orange Ave., Sarasota, FL 34236. Candidates will be asked to generate writing samples as part of the interview process.
About Westcoast Black Theatre Troupe:
Westcoast Black Theatre Troupe is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to produce professional theatre that promotes and celebrates African American history and experience, engages a broad base of patrons and audiences, supports the development of a dynamic group of aspiring artists and builds self-esteem in youth of color.
Our Values Statement
We believe . . .
- Black theatre is essential to the understanding and preservation of African-American culture, history, and experience.
- Audiences and actors alike will connect with each other, share the passion, feel the rhythm, and live the experience.
- Our work will be filled with excitement, energy and the realization that this is no ordinary theatre.
- Our diversity serves as a bridge for the entire community and provides an inclusive platform for aspiring artists.
- All of our endeavors will be conducted in a fiscally responsible, trustworthy and ethical manner. Our aspiring artists and staff will be role models for the community.
Westcoast Black Theatre Troupe does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation or military status in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, employment and casting, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services to our patrons and students. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all of our staff, patrons, students, volunteers, subcontractors and vendors.
Westcoast Black Theatre Troupe is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.