Director of Philanthropy
Post Date: 10/07/21 Company: Avow Hospice
Job Title: Director of Philanthropy
Reports To: Chief Philanthropy Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared By: A Smith
Prepared Date: October 2021
To perform this job successfully, an individual must demonstrate competency in each of Avow’s core values listed below and be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We embrace change and are always looking at creative ways to solve problems and serve new populations.
We are honest, hardworking, fiscally responsible professionals driven solely by the well-being of our patients, their loved ones, and the communities we serve.
We know we cannot achieve everything we want without working hand-in-hand with each other, with our healthcare partners, and with the community.
We believe in the importance of celebrating life and relationships.
We believe it is important not only to serve the community but to educate community members about our services and the role we can play at the end of life.
Database software and general knowledge of email/Outlook is required. Donor database experience and knowledge of Raiser’s Edge NXT and iWave research tools are highly desired. High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and a working knowledge of search functions for donor research purposes.
Supervision of foundation team members as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred. Five+ years of direct experience managing fundraising portfolios with demonstrated success in closing gifts of $50,000 and above, or equivalent satisfactory experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Basic math skills such as addition, subtraction, division, multiplication, fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to work independently and as a team member, to make decisions using organizational policies, procedures and common sense judgment is essential, along with an ability to define problems, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Valid Florida driver’s license. CFRE preferred. Membership in the Association of Fundraising Professionals encouraged.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.) While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. he employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Position requires day and nighttime driving to locations throughout Collier County.
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.) While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The Director of Philanthropy will work closely with the Chief Philanthropy Officer to plan and implement strategy for individual major gifts and planned gifts, and donor relationship management (manage, nurture, upgrade) to meet short term and long term goals of the organization. The Director of Philanthropy plays a critical role in increasing individual donor and foundation support and acts as an ambassador for Avow in the community. S/he is responsible for overseeing the stewardship of assigned current donors and solicitation of prospective donors for major gifts, capital campaign, planned gifts and any other special campaigns. The Director of Philanthropy should be able to conceive, plan and execute a major gifts program. S/he will be capable of inspiring support from a variety of constituent groups, be hands on in a role that is demanding and requires a high level of energy. S/he must have a strong sense of fundraising ethics and respect for confidentiality of donor information. Superior interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate professionally with volunteers, colleagues and donors is required. The Director of Philanthropy must also have a strong work ethic, professional manner and an ability to represent Avow in the community. Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload in a timely manner to complete assignments when faced with deadlines and competing requirements is a must.
- Conducts all foundation business in an ethical and respectful manner.
- Implements a comprehensive major gift development plan for Avow Foundation which is established in accordance with the organizations strategic plan and budget requirements.
- Formulates a major gift funding plan as part of the budget process and meets or exceeds personal goals for fund raising.
- Evaluates and adapts programs based on improvement standards and specific outcomes.
- Identifies prospective donors, implements programs to gain their financial support and prepares proposals to secure funding
- Assists with the development of major gift fund raising materials.
- Works with the database specialist to stay abreast of all record keeping of major gifts and processing of acknowledgments.
- Works a top 80 to 100+ prospect list and is responsible for moving them through the fundraising cycle.
- Personally solicits gifts from donors on a weekly basis.
- Maintains proficiency in fund raising software program.
- Documents donor activities and actions in Raiser’s Edge NXT in a timely manner.=
- Reviews prospect research and develops prospecting strategies, matching prospects to funding opportunities.
- Assists with special events as needed.
- Implements goal setting, planning, and accountability practices with assigned subordinates.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Assists the Chief Philanthropy Officer in implementing a long range planned giving plan for Avow Foundation that is established in accordance with the organizations strategic plan and goals.
- Identifies planned giving prospects and prepares individualized approaches to prospects.
- Solicits planned gifts.
- Continuously monitors program against targeted goals and adjusts activities as necessary to achieve goals.
- Assists in the establishment of all materials necessary to conduct the planned giving program.
- Helps develop appropriate donor recognition programs.
- Helps establish ongoing donor cultivation programs to increase the planned giving donor base.
- Establishes programs for financial advisors and the community to promote planned giving opportunities.
- Assists the Chief Philanthropy Officer in all bequest, planned giving and gift annuity functions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.