AFP JOB POSTINGS
<-- return to job postings
Director – Annual Giving
Post Date: 03/14/23 Company: Champions For Learning
The Director of Annual Giving develops and executes strategies for maintaining and improving annual sustainability by successfully soliciting donations and working with donors who provide financial support to Champions For Learning on an on-going, annual basis. The Director will be responsible for executing a robust direct mail appeal program that focuses on not only acquiring new donors but also renews existing donors and increases the donor’s annual giving commitment. The Director will collaborate with the Development team, across the organization and with external partners to meet goals and objectives on specific appeals and campaigns. The Director will develop a coordinated matrix of communication and solicitation strategies involving: direct mail, online fundraising, newsletters, and appeal segmentation. The Director will be responsible for detailed analytical research and reporting on the annual donor base, new donors, lapsed donors, consecutive donors, and direct-mail appeal results at or above national benchmarks.
The Director will also serve as a strategic partner with Champions For Learning’s internal departments in facilitating the process of pursuing unrestricted and restricted funds for our programs and services. This position will also manage and execute the grants calendar for maximum philanthropic revenue to achieve our mission.
As a member of the Development Department, the Director should have the skills, knowledge, and experience to successfully cultivate, grow and expand a robust annual giving program and grants portfolio. This position can expect to frequently engage with the Board of Directors, leadership team and program staff.
- Develop, maintain, and improve annual sustainability by successfully soliciting donations and working with donors who provide charitable support to Champions For Learning.
- Responsible for planning and implementing multiple direct mail appeals annually, with a high degree of customization to strategically incorporate messaging to all donor types.
- Create compelling case for support for the Annual Giving program and develop a comprehensive strategy for marketing the annual fund to current and potential donors.
- Recommend income and expense budget goals for the Annual Giving and Grants programs to the leadership team. Will also be responsible for monitoring income and expense budgets throughout the fiscal year to achieve a cost-effective annual giving and grants program that consistently performs at or better than break even.
- Analyze effectiveness and progress of annual giving results and adapt future messaging and appeals accordingly to meet yearly goals and objectives.
- Manage donor stewardship and benefits implementation for the Annual Giving program including writing donor acknowledgement letters, correspondence, and recognition program.
- Work collaboratively with Student and Educator Programs as well as other Champions For Learning staff in the conceptualization and development of grant proposals to ensure the best interests of the our programs and services.
- Create and maintain a strategic grants calendar that identifies and qualifies current and new funders annually that align with the organization’s programs, initiatives, and needs.
- Identifies and develops strategies to optimize grants administration process, ensuring a high-level of productivity and a robust pipeline of grantors for each fiscal year.
- Partners with the Chief Development Officer and Major Gifts Officer(s) to perform prospect research on foundations, corporations, and individuals to evaluate targeted opportunities for grant funding.
- Prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundations and corporations.
- Works collaboratively with the Chief Financial Officer and others to prepare financial budgets for grant proposals and ensure adherence to all federal and state regulations.
- Develops, prepares, and submits timely and accurate reports for all grant funded projects, ensuring compliance with proposed outcomes and grantor recognition, to the maximum extent possible.
- Creates and manages a robust stewardship program for donors and grantors through the provision of regular written updates (newsletters, email touchpoints, phone calls) and on-site visits.
- Maintains current, detailed, and accurate records in Raiser’s Edge database, electronic files on the Development shared drive, including direct mail, grant tracking/reporting of all proposals.
- Cultivates community relationships with foundation officers and other prospects, arranging onsite tours, lunches, and potential meetings with Chief Development Officer or the President and CEO.
- Conveys importance of Champions For Learning’s mission and value to the community to prospective donors and potential grantors.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies with an emphasis on annual giving and grants management.
- Proven track record of success in creating and growing a comprehensive annual giving and grants program that meets measurable goals and objectives.
- Outstanding organizational skills; initiate and complete multiple tasks on time with competing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to establish goals and action plans and to work effectively and collaboratively as part of the team to achieve goals.
- Strong self-motivation and high level of professionalism.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science degree, plus 3-5 years of related experience (not including internships). CFRE preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in not-for-profit organization
- Previous use or familiarity with donor databases, previous experience with Raiser’s Edge NXT preferred. Expertise in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel and all social media sites.
- Must have strong persuasive writing skills and knowledge of grant writing techniques. Ability to read, comprehend and interpret complex grant applications.
To apply, please email resume to Samantha Lapolla, Chief Adminstrative Officer, at SLapolla@championsforlearning.org