AFP JOB POSTINGS
<-- return to job postings
Executive Assistant/Residency Coordinator
Post Date: 05/08/23 Company: Hermitage Artist Retreat
Executive Assistant / Residency Coordinator
About the Hermitage Artist Retreat
The Hermitage is a leading national arts incubator and a multi-disciplinary artist retreat uniquely serving artists, the creative process, and the community. The mission of the Hermitage is to inspire and foster the most influential and culturally consequential art and artists of our time. Located on a nine-acre beachfront campus in Manasota Key at the southern tip of Sarasota County, Florida, we provide diverse and accomplished artists with multi-week residencies to create new works of theater, music, visual art, literature, dance, film, and more. Hermitage Fellows have frequently described their experiences as “life-changing” and “transformative,” regularly noting that they accomplish more in any two weeks at the Hermitage than they otherwise might in two years. The award-winning original works created at the Hermitage are presented in renowned concert halls, theaters, museums, and galleries throughout our region and across the globe. In addition to the unique and invaluable experience we provide to artists, we take pride in our complementary missions of historic preservation, ecological restoration, and dynamic community engagement.
The Hermitage is the only major arts organization in Florida’s Gulf Coast region exclusively committed to supporting the development and creation of new works across all artistic disciplines.
The Hermitage is seeking a candidate who is enthusiastic about the organization’s mission: to inspire and foster the most influential and culturally consequential art and artists of our time. The successful candidate should be passionate about having a role in a fast-paced, energized, and rapidly growing arts organization that is looking to make a significant and sustainable impact in both our community and the national artistic landscape.
The job requires a high standard of excellence in oral and written communication skills; strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills are essential. This role requires exceptional organizational skills, the ability to multitask and balance a steady stream of deadline-oriented projects. This will be a full-time, on-site position in Sarasota County, Florida, working closely among a team of passionate, driven, and high-performing professionals. The Hermitage offers a competitive salary and a full benefits program including medical, dental, vision and an IRA match.
Sarasota County is one of the fastest growing economies in the country, with the arts playing a pivotal role in the culture, community, and prosperity of the region.
Artistic Director and CEO: Andy Sandberg
The Executive Assistant/Residency Coordinator reports directly to the Artistic Director/CEO in support of the overall mission. This position is responsible for the efficient operation and coordination of the executive office’s administrative duties and activities, particularly with regards to the day-to-day needs, planning, communications, and organizational processes of the Artistic Director/CEO. Additionally, this position serves to support and coordinate all residency logistics for the Hermitage artists; this includes artist invitations and schedules, travel and accommodations, and meals, as well as assisting with presentations and special events. The Executive Assistant/Residency Coordinator may also support archival projects, data entry, volunteer management, and marketing efforts (as needed). Additionally, this position will play a key role in the support of frequent events and programs. Special projects may be assigned.
- Assist the Artistic Director/CEO in all aspects of communication, scheduling, logistics, planning, and organization.
- Works directly for the Artistic Director/CEO to support the efficient day-to-day operations of the executive office. This includes shared drive management, calendar and schedule coordination, and organization of office inventory and materials.
- Create and manage systems for tracking the Artistic Director/CEO’s extensive and consistently evolving list of tasks, calls, travels, and correspondences.
- Manage clerical functions in organizing all incoming mail, invoices, filing, workflow, online accounts, etc.
- Coordinates logistics and communications for the 80-90 artists-in-residence per year. This includes scheduling of residencies, any applicable travel arrangements, housing assignments and calendars, local travel, and food/beverage, and being present and available for the artists’ needs while in residence.
- Supports the live and virtual programming of the Hermitage, particularly with regards to the needs of the Artistic Director/CEO, Hermitage artists, venue, and equipment set-up and tear-down, compilation of photos and materials, etc.
- Manage the reception of incoming visitors and correspondence to ensure timely and effective phone, mail, and in-person communications, both internally and externally, to maintain the Hermitage’s professional image.
- Supports the production of email blasts, social media, and other key communications.
- Record, type, and distribute detailed minutes from staff, board, and committee meetings, as requested.
- Coordinate volunteer drivers and their schedules.
- Participates as needed in special projects at the direction of the Artistic Director/CEO.
- Supports the Artistic Director/CEO with freelance projects and personal tasks that may extend beyond the scope of the Hermitage.
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, problem-solving, and oral and written communication skills; strong editing and proofreading skills are essential.
- Strong project management and coordination skills; must be detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task and manage time efficiently.
- The ability to synthesize information, and report concisely and clearly to the CEO and other members of the team.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with diplomacy and discretion.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as a team player; at ease with a wide range of constituents and backgrounds.
- Reliable and resourceful, a positive “can do” attitude with a sense of hustle and initiative.
- The ability to anticipate and adapt to the ever-changing needs of the Artistic Director/CEO, and to keep pace with his constant activities.
- Proficient with management software, including database, communication, and event management programs.
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office and Google G-Suite applications, Zoom, and other relevant tools; basic design and layout abilities are a plus.
- Ability to operate and troubleshoot office, computer, and technical equipment, and to quickly understand and utilize technical systems and databases.
- Flexible to work evenings and weekends whenever needed in support of artist programs and donor events on campus and throughout our region.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent (or higher).
- Proficiency in video/photo editing a plus.
The Hermitage Artist Retreat is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, artists, guests, and members of our community.
Location of position: The Hermitage Artist Retreat on Manasota Key, Sarasota County, Florida
Please note: This is a full-time, on-site position; non-local candidates would be expected to relocate.
Salary and benefits:
Salary and benefits: Salary commensurate with experience. Full benefits plan includes medical, dental, and vision, plus an IRA match. A relocation bonus may be provided, as appropriate.
To apply, please submit:
- Cover Letter
- Three References
Submit Applications to: Jobs@HermitageArtistRetreat.org
Additional writing samples may be requested further into the process.
Application Deadline: We are seeking to fill this position immediately. Candidates are asked to submit their material as soon as possible.