Director of Development
Post Date: 11/28/18 Company: New Horizons of Southwest Florida
Director of Development, New Horizons of Southwest Florida
The mission of New Horizons of Southwest Florida is to empower at-risk youth in Lee and Collier counties to reach their full potential through tutoring, mentoring and faith-building. Since its founding in 2002, New Horizons has grown to nine sites serving over 600 at-risk students (grades K-12) annually. The program has a compelling success rate, with participants demonstrating dramatic improvement in reading skills, grade point average and graduation rates.
Still, there are far more children who need access to these life-changing programs than are currently receiving them. New Horizons is committed to reaching students who are growing up in concentrated areas of poverty and families that do not speak English at home. New Horizons has ambitious plans to continue growing its programs and impact. Hiring the right person for this position will be critical to its success. For more information about the organization, visit NewHorizonsofSWFL.org.
The Director of Development is a new position that will be accountable to the Executive Director for assuring that the organization has a community-based strategy and makes consistent and timely progress toward achieving its mission and vision. Specifically, this will include developing new opportunities for the programs through fundraising, relationship-building and public speaking across the community.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and volunteer committees, manage New Horizon’s fundraising efforts.
- Develop strong relationships and partnerships across the community with individuals, churches, organizations and businesses.
- Develop and implement a well-rounded, community-based strategy to raise awareness and monetary and volunteer support.
- Assist the Executive Director in leading a planned giving and endowment-building campaign.
- Network across Naples, Bonita Springs, Estero and south Ft. Myers to nurture community partnerships.
- Assist the Executive Director in writing grants.
- Connect with volunteers at program sites to develop their commitment to the mission.
- Manage the donor database and analyze it for giving trends to make recommendations to the Executive Director for actions needed.
- Local travel required to program sites and area communities, up to 25% of overall time.
Professional Qualifications & Personal Characteristics
- Passion for the mission of New Horizons as a Christian ministry.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in management, business or related advanced degree preferred.
- Management or supervisory experience in leading independent and self-motivated employees and volunteers with an open and inclusive leadership style.
- Previous history of fundraising with individuals, corporations and community organizations, grant-writing, special events and working with volunteers.
- Excellent people skills and the ability to work with diverse communities.
- Strategic, “big picture” thinking, but not at the sacrifice of attention to detail.
- Organizational skills
- Consensus builder, skilled at balancing and channeling the expectations and needs of multiple constituencies.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and ability to read and interpret financial statements.
- Understanding of donor database management. Familiarity with Donor Perfect is a plus.
- Unquestionable character and integrity, including fundraising principles, ethics and best practices.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Vacation policy and health insurance plan are competitive with sector norms.
It is the policy of New Horizons of Southwest Florida to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
To apply for this position, submit cover letter and resume to Steven Byers, The Moran Company. APPLY NOW