CLICK HERE to post a new job.<-- return to job postings
Chief Advancement Officer
Post Date: 04/22/19 Company: Gulfshore Playhouse
Gulfshore Playhouse, a not-for-profit, professional theatre company located in Naples, Florida, is seeking a dynamic, strategic, and experienced individual to serve as Chief Advancement Officer. The successful candidate will help build the organization’s visibility and financial resources as it completes a capital campaign and transitions to a signature permanent theatre and education center in downtown Naples.
Gulfshore Playhouse was founded in 2004 and has experienced fifteen years of continuous growth based upon production and arts-education success. From modest beginnings, the organization today has a 9 month production season, extensive educational and public programs that engage both underserved and prosperous segments of the community, an annual budget of $4.2M, a 13 member Board, 32 full-time staff, roughly 100 volunteers, more than 1300 subscribers, and an annual attendance of approximately 30,000.
Gulfshore Playhouse has performed for many years in an intimate 200 seat venue at the Norris Center, a municipal building run by the City of Naples. A $10M challenge grant from long–time benefactors Patty and Jay Baker was announced in 2016 igniting a campaign to build a state-of-the-art professional theatre and education center in downtown Naples. Several years of careful planning, together with land acquisition, followed. The Campaign is now more than one-third of the way to its goal.
Status: Full-time, year-round position
Start Date: As soon as possible
Gulfshore Playhouse seeks a Chief Advancement Officer to join our senior management team. The Chief Advancement Officer will be responsible for overseeing a growing development and marketing office. This position is responsible for both annual and capital fundraising efforts through major individual gifts, corporate and foundation support, federal state and local grants, special events, and planned giving and the management and leadership of the company’s overall marketing, messaging, branding, and public relations initiatives, as well as for the effective promotion of each unique production, including individual campaigns, advertising, and web and social media strategies. S/he will oversee the donor and patron base, and work closely with the board and executive staff as they envision expanded programming in their new home.
The Chief Advancement Officer reports to the Producing Artistic Director, and interfaces with senior management and others throughout the organization at strategic levels in order to determine internal development and marketing needs and translate them into strong and consistent messages.
Direct Reports include Capital Campaign Director, Director of Development, Marketing, and Audience Services.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the Development and Marketing Department and all aspects of The Playhouse’s advancement and communications efforts
- Collaborate with the Producing Artistic Director and Managing Director to manage and execute the presentation and promotion the Playhouse’s mission, artistic vision, and image, both internally and in the community
- Ensure that philanthropy and fund development are carried out in keeping with the organization’s values, missions, vision, and plans
- Develop and oversee the overall marketing strategy for the organization, including capital, annual, and show campaigns, ensuring integrated messaging across departments
- Actively interact with senior staff and board to create and implement a comprehensive development strategy, plan, and execution
- Guide donor research and tracking to ensure order and the maximization of information and data in support of advancement strategies. Analyze data as appropriate.
- Participate in Annual and Capital Campaign Meetings and Asks as appropriate
- Lead Development and Marketing Department staff and committee meetings
- Leverage the Senior Management Team’s time and that of key Board Members to efficiently target and cultivate high-potential donors and prospects
- Provide strategic leadership and organizational acumen to all phases of the advancement and communications effort
- Oversee the processes and procedures of the Development and Marketing Department
- In conjunction with an outside marketing firm, strategize, plan, and supervise a marketing plan to reach goals, including the supervision of and approval of all media buys, trades, and other opportunities
- Oversee the preparation of high-quality donor and patron correspondence, reports, mailings, and acknowledgements required to support ongoing fundraising and marketing activities including marketing collateral and advertising campaigns for productions
- Plan and implement best strategies based on current data analytics, and on the growth strategy for the new building
- Collaborate with Audience Services on all public and subscription sales campaigns, as well as group sales strategies
- Attend and report at board meetings
- Support Board efforts in fundraising
- Undertake other duties as assigned by the Producing Artistic Director
The ideal candidate would possess:
- Demonstrated ability to close high six-to-seven figure gifts
- Excellent written and verbal communication and graphic evaluation skills
- Ability to organize self and others amidst an active capital and annual campaign
- Significant years of experience in advancement and communications, with significant major gift and some Capital Campaign experience
- Comfort with current software such as Raiser’s Edge, Microsoft Excel, Google Drive, Calendar, and Docs, and ticketing software
- Comfort in interfacing with high net worth patrons, donors, and board members alike
- Capacity to manage multiple projects at one time
- Professional style and bearing
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of successful fundraising and marketing management, a willingness to ensure high-quality work in every aspect of advancement, excellent communication and organizational skills, and leadership capabilities. The Playhouse values hard work, kindness, generosity, passion, and grace-under-pressure. The Chief Advancement Officer will be expected to work extended hours when necessary to meet goals. Weekend and evening hours are required including attendance at Opening Nights, special events, and/or meetings that may happen outside normal hours. Travel is expected to be minimal.
Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred
Commensurate with experience.
Please send cover letter, resume, and a list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Background checks will be performed on all applicants.