CLICK HERE to post a new job.<-- return to job postings
Post Date: 07/31/19 Company: The STARability Foundation
The STARability Foundation is seeking an Employment Specialist for its Trailblazer Academy, a community-based vocational training and educational program for post-high school individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. This is a newly created position that will report to and work with the Trailblazer Academy Program Director to enhance employment opportunities for participants. The successful candidate will have a passion for advocating for individuals with additional needs and helping employers recognize how their unique abilities can contribute to the workforce.
- Extensive networking with current and potential vocational partners/employers to fulfill employment goals for Trailblazer Academy participants.
- Meet regularly with vocational partner representatives (managers, business owners, and staff) to identify customized and competitive employment opportunities.
- Develop new vocational partnerships with local businesses, increasing the variety of job skill opportunities.
- Maintain knowledge of current laws and benefits for businesses that employ people with disabilities.
- In collaboration with the Trailblazer Academy Program Director and Instructors, evaluate program participants to identify their job readiness, job skills and employment goals.
- Provide direct job coaching to participants once they are placed in employment.
Maintain data on participants and write reports, such as individual employment plans, as required.
- Knowledge of the field of developmental challenges and similar needs.
- Knowledge of the local business community and the ability to network and develop partnerships.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in social work, business, behavioral sciences or related field.
- Three years of experience providing education, social, or direct care services to people with diagnosed special needs or other populations.
- Knowledge of referral services regarding the impact of employment wages on SSI, SSDI, and other benefits.
- Ability to apply general principles of educational, vocational and socialization for individuals with developmental challenges and similar needs seeking and maintaining employment, and those seeking to develop skills that could eventually lead to employment.
- Ability to be flexible, patient and handle a variety of situations.
- Excellent presentation and verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with a wide variety of individuals, including some with non-traditional communication styles.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Employment subject to background check.
This is a 30 hour per week position with opportunity for growth. Successful candidate must have valid driver’s license and insurance and operate own vehicle. Local travel required. Join us in making our participants feel confident in their abilities rather than their disabilities through employment opportunities. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Madison McNally at email@example.com.