CLICK HERE to post a new job.<-- return to job postings
Post Date: 12/20/19 Company: Library Foundation for Sarasota County
To Apply please submit:
• Cover Letter
Submit Applications to: LibraryFoundationEDSearch@gmail.com
Application deadlines: The position will remain open until filled. We intend to interview as qualified candidates are available. Our goal is to have a new Executive Director acceptance in hand by no later than March 1, to allow for transition time.
About the Library Foundation for Sarasota County:
The mission of the Library Foundation for Sarasota County is to secure the future of our libraries as an indispensable community resource.
• Raise public awareness of the importance of our libraries
• Generate private sector financial support to complement public tax funding
• Be a proponent for issues that promote the viability of our library system
The Executive Director fulfills all the responsibilities of CEO in a way that serves and advances the mission and programs of the organization and its stakeholders. The position fills the role of the organizational leader, articulating a compelling vision and, working in partnership with the Board of Directors, develops the strategies and tactics to achieve it. The Executive Director is the public face of the organization and takes every opportunity to express the organization’s values and aspirations to the outside community. Under the direction of the Board, the Executive Director plans, organizes, promotes, implements, and evaluates all Foundation fundraising activities, including marketing efforts, personal association, and the acknowledgment of donations. The Executive Director exercises these duties and responsibilities in a way that reflects and contributes to the organization's commitment to excellence and integrity throughout all aspects of its operation.
Specifically, the Executive Director:
Mission and Fund Development:
1. Works with the Board to develop the overall strategic plan for the Foundation and assists the Board in implementing the strategic plan.
2. Works with the Advancement Committee and the Board to develop and implement comprehensive short and long-term fundraising strategies, including fundraising campaigns and events, donor gift solicitation, grant solicitation, endowments, and planned giving opportunities.
3. Evaluates and reports all fundraising activities and solicitation programs to the Board and appropriate committees.
4. Assists the Board in cultivating and maintaining communications with current and potential donors.
5. Fosters continued giving by formally and personally acknowledging funding support and supporters via public announcement or written communication in a timely fashion.
6. Routinely demonstrates the capability to comfortably and personally secure major gifts.
Special Events Management: Coordinates the annual Author Luncheon and other special events with the Advancement Committee.
Administrative, Financial and Personnel Management:
1. Regularly attends Board meetings and functions, including special events.
2. Assists the Foundation Secretary as needed on the minutes of the Board meetings.
3. Stays informed regarding the activities of the various Foundation committees.
4. Assists the Board in the recruitment, orientation, and development of Board members.
5. Works with the Finance Committee and the bookkeeper in developing, implementing, and monitoring sound financial strategies and budgets.
6. Oversees the accurate administration of financial transactions, including donor software, gifts, and grants from the Foundation in its individual capacity and as a fiscal agent for grants given to the Sarasota County Library System.
7. Oversees all filings needed to comply with federal, state, and local regulations.
8. Oversees the accurate and timely legal, financial, and insurance records and documents of the Foundation.
9. Coordinates the activities of independent contractors and staff including ensuring accuracy of deposits with the bookkeeper and input into QuickBooks, input into donor software and acknowledgements to donors.
Public Relations, Marketing and Advocacy:
1. Serves as a liaison between the Foundation Board of Directors and the Sarasota County Library System Director and ensures positive working relationships.
2. Assists the Board in maintaining relationships with current donors to ensure their satisfaction with and their ongoing commitment to the Foundation.
3. Assists the Foundation President in responding to public comments and requests on behalf of the Board.
4. Together with the Foundation board members, serves as a representative of the Foundation at various civic and community functions and ceremonies.
5. Collaborates with the Communications Committee and Community Advocacy team in coordinating and developing marketing materials and timely web and social media information for the Foundation.
Board of Directors Engagement:
1. Works closely with the Governance Committee and the board in the cultivation and recruitment of potential new board members.
2. With the Governance Committee, sees to the orientation and training of new
board members and ongoing education of the Board of Directors.
3. Oversees all communications with the Board of Directors, including monthly
reports from staff and Committee Chairs.
4. Develops with staff materials for Board meetings such as the agenda in collaboration
with Board Leadership.
5. Collaborates with the Board leadership in the assignment of Board Committees and the execution of Board business as necessary.
6. Works with the Board to establish and approve comprehensive short- and long-term plans and implements these plans with staff support.
1. Responsible for hiring, supervising, and evaluating all staff.
2. Develops human resource needs and present to the Board for approval, as needed.
3. Effectively manages the organization, including contracted services.
4. Leads, coaches, develops, and retains a high-performance team in the implementation of the mission, vision, and organizational goals.
5. Provides Board with meaningful recommendations regarding staff performance, training, compensation, and benefits.
6. Develops and implements compensation and benefit plans, based upon the Board’s direction.
1. Knowledge of fundraising policies and procedures, including grant writing, Moves Management, donor software and major gift solicitation.
2. Knowledge of the public relations function for promoting a not for profit organization and the public institution of the Sarasota County Library System.
3. Knowledge of how to navigate the various government and political entities to the advantage of the Foundation.
4. Knowledge of library processes, policies, and procedures and collections, and/or the willingness to learn the same.
5. Skills in the operation of a personal computer using program applications appropriate to assigned duties and responsibilities, including word processing and the fundraising/donor software.
6. Skills in administrative and clerical procedures, such as managing files and records.
7. Strong and demonstrated capability in oral and written communications and presentations.
8. Ability to use ingenuity and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
9. Ability to effectively coordinate and develop the services of Board members and volunteers.
10. Ability to work cooperatively with Board members, volunteers, and consultants to accomplish job responsibilities.
11. Ability to quickly adapt, learn, and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology.
12. Ability to prioritize independently.
13. Maintain a valid driver’s license and required automobile insurance.
14. Ability to work flexible hours, including some evening and weekends, including meetings, receptions, and fund-raising functions, and travel throughout Sarasota County.
Education and Experience:
10+ years of non-profit organization experience at a leadership/management level.
Graduation from an accredited college or university (Bachelor’s Degree preferable); and,
Advanced degree preferred; and,
Experience in development and fundraising, and experience in communications, marketing or public relations; or,
Equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the knowledge and abilities necessary.