CLICK HERE to post a new job.<-- return to job postings
Philanthropy Officer- Planned Gifts
Post Date: 02/03/20 Company: Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium
About Mote Marine Laboratory
Mote Marine Laboratory, located in Sarasota, Florida, was founded in 1955 as an independent marine research institution and has since become a distinguished and integrated research enterprise with a focus on education, public outreach, and public policy programs.
The Philanthropy Officer at Mote Marine Laboratory will be responsible for securing significant revenue for Mote Marine Laboratory. He/She will cultivate and solicit planned gifts from individual Mote donors, members and volunteers. He/She will also be expected to develop dynamic fundraising strategies focused on engaging, cultivating,
soliciting and stewarding an assigned portfolio of major donors. The Philanthropy Officer will report directly to the Director of Development and work independently and as part of the Development Team.
The Philanthropy Officer will:
• Develop and implement strategies to substantially grow membership of the Legacy Society.
• Coordinate with the Development team to maintain and enhance a stewardship program for all planned giving donors and raise and enhance the profile of the Legacy Society.
• Meet annual targets for donor visits, planned gift proposals, and new planned gift commitments.
• Manage an assigned portfolio of 75-100 major gift donors and prospects with intent to form deep relationships and identify specific areas of interest. Cultivate, solicit and steward donors at the $5,000 level or higher, with an emphasis on maximizing revenue for Mote. Personally solicits assigned donor portfolio through face to face visits, including preparation of personalized materials.
• Meet minimum annual fundraising goal tied to individual donor portfolio. Develop donor solicitation plans for entire portfolio resulting in strategic, targeted asks.
• Draft and coordinate correspondence to donors, including gift agreements, letters, email updates and reports.
• Work with various local financial planning and estate planning associations to plan meetings that maximize the Mote position as the charity of choice for
bequests, trusts, retirement funds, life insurance policies, and life income arrangements.
• Ensure correct and timely records are maintained for all donor communication in Mote’s database.
• Enhance the culture of philanthropy at Mote Marine Laboratory.
• Become an expert on Mote Marine Laboratory and convey that knowledge to the donors in a manner that encourages their philanthropic support.
• The Philanthropy Officer is an entrepreneurial, energetic, goal-driven, donor- centric team member.
• A minimum of five years in major gift or gift planning fundraising with successful cultivating and soliciting experience is preferred. Experienced candidates from the financial, estate and/or philanthropic planning, law, and trust administration fields are encouraged to apply.
• Knowledge of the technical aspects of planned giving vehicles as well as an extensive knowledge of fundraising principles and techniques is desired.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation, negotiation, and strong interpersonal skills are required.
• Strong organization skills and good attention to detail are essential.
Demonstrated tact and diplomacy in difficult or sensitive situations is essential.
• The successful candidate should possess a broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising, moves management and the ability to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle.
• Candidate must also possess a proven track record in individual gift fundraising, managing a large portfolio including experience closing gifts of $25,000 and higher.
• Experience maintaining donor records in database.
• Bachelor degree or equivalent experience is required.
• Other duties as assigned.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to
HumanResources@mote.org. Alternatively, cover letters and resumes may be submitted to Mote Marine Laboratory,
Attn: Human Resources, 1600 Ken Thompson
Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.