CLICK HERE to post a new job.<-- return to job postings
Director of Special Events
Post Date: 03/13/20 Company: Guadalupe Center
The Director of Special Events is a critical member of the Guadalupe Center team. The Director of Special Events works in cooperation with the President/CEO, Vice President of Development, and other professional staff and volunteers to create, plan and execute various special events to raise awareness, dollars, and cultivate volunteers in support of Guadalupe Center and its mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under the guidance of the Vice President of Development, responsible for organizing, managing, and producing special events including logistics, catering, decor, auction procurement and delivery, invitations, and donor/sponsor stewardship for all events in cooperation with Event Chairperson(s) and the Fundraising Advisory Council ensuring maximum revenue within budget and a high level satisfaction from event attendees and volunteers.
- Identifies best practices and enhancement opportunities to improve current Guadalupe Center events.
- Coordinates and maintains record of meetings with vendors, event committees and staff including communicating the time, date and location to attendees.
- Develops task timeline for each event and monitors the completion of items.
- Develops an event notebook for each event which includes all pertinent information related to the event and samples of print material.
- Helps research and procure auction items for events.
- Works with the Vice President of Development and/or other Guadalupe Center Team members to create and produce major donor events in private homes, small venues, or Immokalee to thank and cultivate donors.
- Researches, organizes and implements new event opportunities designed to increase revenue and awareness of Guadalupe Center.
- Serves as principal liaison with all committees to ensure event’s success. Identifies and cultivates future chairpersons for existing event and identifies chairpersons for any new events.
- Prepares and monitors budgets for all events and communicates with the CFO and Vice President of Development on budget, expenses and revenue.
- Works with the Director of Communications & Marketing to prepare event invitations, advertising, promotion, and event-related electronic communications and press releases.
- Works with the Database Specialist to ensure the proper recording and registration of all event participants, sponsors, auction bidders and donors, and in-kind donors, and that proper receipts and acknowledgments are generated timely.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit cash and in-kind sponsorships from individual donors, businesses and corporations, as appropriate, and in coordination with the Vice President of Development, event committee, Fundraising Advisory Council and Board of Trustees.
- Assists in the selection, hiring, and managing of direct contractors and vendors. Works closely with CFO to make sure vendor relationships are complying with applicable regulations and requirements.
- Assists with special projects as assigned.
- Promptly attends all assigned meetings.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor degree in communications, marketing, event planning or related field
- Successful special events (and/or marketing) experience in nonprofit organization or in corporate setting beneficial
- Experience with media and public relations beneficial
- Creativity and ability to work diplomatically with donors, volunteers and other Guadalupe Center Team members
SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Ability to think strategically
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities while effectively being part of a team
- Excellent computer skills (including Word, Excel). Experience with Raisers Edge software a plus.
- Ability to respond creatively and diplomatically to conflicting priorities
- Excellent budget development and management skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently
- Clearance through local, state and federal background checks
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
- Indoor office environment
- Exposure to outdoor environment during special events
- May be exposed to short, intermittent, and/or prolonged periods of sitting and/or standing in performance of job duties
- May require evening and weekend hours
- Minimal lifting may be required not to exceed 25 pounds
- May be required to transport oneself and/or supplies off-site to attend meetings, conferences, workshops, seminars, etc.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions