CLICK HERE to post a new job.<-- return to job postings
Director of Development
Post Date: 04/21/20 Company: Hermitage Artist Retreat
About the Hermitage Artist Retreat
The Hermitage is a multi-disciplinary artist retreat uniquely serving artists, the creative process, and the community. Located on a nine-acre beachside campus in Manasota Key at the southern tip of Sarasota County, Florida, we provide celebrated artists with six-week residences (a flexible bank of time to schedule over two years) to create new works of art, literature, theater, music, and more. Our Hermitage Fellows have described their experiences as “life-changing” and “transformative,” regularly noting that they accomplish more in two weeks at the Hermitage than they otherwise might do in two years. The award-winning original works created at the Hermitage are presented in renowned concert halls, theaters, museums, and galleries throughout our region and across the globe. In addition to the unique and invaluable experience we provide to artists, we take pride in our complementary missions of historic preservation, ecological restoration, and community outreach and engagement.
Artistic Director and CEO: Andy Sandberg
Co-Founder and Program Director: Patricia Caswell
The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and executing the annual fundraising plan in support of the Hermitage Artist Retreat’s mission and strategic plan. The Hermitage is funded primarily through donors and grantors, and the Director of Development plays a vital role as a member of the senior management team. Reporting directly to the CEO, the Director of Development provides both strategic expertise and operational support in all areas of development, including annual, major, and planned giving, institutional grants, and fundraising events. S/he develops dynamic fundraising and communications strategies to deepen donor relationships and expand the base of support. The Director of Development collaborates with all Hermitage constituencies, including staff, trustees, donors, artists, marketing and event personnel, volunteers, and community partners. S/he manages colleagues and volunteers when appropriate, ensures best practices throughout fundraising operations, and administers the fundraising software transition and ongoing data management.
- Assess needs, apply best practices, develop, and execute a comprehensive annual fundraising plan, integrating all fundraising activities including annual, major, and planned giving, institutional grants, and events.
- Advise CEO on strategic and operational development-related activity and serve as a collaborator and partner on senior management team.
- Liaise with the Board of Trustees, including development and finance committees, on all development activities.
- Foster collaborative individual and institutional partnerships, including vital foundation relationships, to further community awareness and engagement in the Hermitage’s mission.
- Represent the organization at Hermitage and community events and programs as needed.
- Develop fundraising strategies to increase donor acquisition and retention, deepen donor engagement, and expand the base of support.
- Manage fundraising software transition from current database, communication and event management programs to SalesForce, including data migration, record cleaning, and ongoing data management.
- Develop portfolio of major donors and prospects strategically, creating personalized plans aligning organizational needs with donors’ philanthropic interests and objectives.
- Oversee grants manager and grant process, including research, application, and reporting. Write and/or edit grant proposals as appropriate.
- Oversee fundraising event logistics and personnel, including event manager, staff, chair(s), volunteers, and vendors.
- Manage donor cultivation and appreciation events.
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop strategic and consistent donor and prospect communications in support of fundraising goals.
- Generate and edit content and strategy for fundraising communications, including print collateral, website, and digital media.
- Enlist and collaborate with colleagues and trustees as fundraising ambassadors, to ensure effective messaging and enhance communications network.
- Manage gift processing, ensuring prompt gift acknowledgement and appropriate donor recognition.
- Develop, manage, and report progress monthly on the annual fundraising budget (or more frequently, as requested).
- Develop and implement fundraising policies and procedures as needed.
- Maximize use of technology for donor and prospect identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Passion for the Hermitage Artist Retreat’s mission, vision, and values.
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and oral and written communication skills.
- Proven record of raising major gifts and grants from diverse sources, including individuals, foundations, corporations and government agencies.
- Knowledge of and connection to local and/or national funding community.
- Experience in successful fundraising communications, marketing, and public relations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as leader and team player, at ease with a wide range of constituents.
- Entrepreneurial, with high level of personal initiative, integrity, and positive energy.
- Sense of humor and “can do” attitude.
- Proficient with donor management software, including database, communication, and event management programs.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and G-Suite.
- Ability to operate and trouble-shoot basic office equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree and a demonstrated history of progressively successful fundraising experience.
- Graduate degree and/or CFRE or ACFRE accreditation a plus.
- Familiarity with Salesforce a plus.
The Hermitage Artist Retreat is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, artists, guests, and members of our community.
Location of position: The Hermitage Artist Retreat on Manasota Key, Sarasota County, Florida
Salary and benefits:
Commensurate with experience.
To apply, please submit:
- Cover Letter
- Three References
Submit Applications to: jobs@HermitageArtistRetreat.org
Application deadlines: We are seeking to fill this position in the coming weeks. Candidates are asked to submit their material as soon as possible.